Quick painting [QS] # 01: Japanese Garden in Acrylic

Quick Study in acrylic on 5"x7" Fabriano watercolour paper. I saw this "Japanese castle in white and red" peeking from behind the tall surrounding trees. I was drawn to the contrast of values and the complimentary colors of green and red. Because the building was bright white, it reflected a lot of the sunlight so the leaves looked extraordinarily saturated with color.



Last Wednesday, Rick taught the silk-screening class at Big Umbrella Studios. Above is the tshirt design the students practiced with. I drew the original fish head with the light bulb coming out of its mouth. For the class, Rick re-created it and added his own flair: the spring and jack-in-the-box. The result is a fun collaborative hand-pulled silk-screened punk t-shirt. We printed only a small number of this design, but we have a couple more left. If you're interested in buying it, trading it, or bargaining it from me, let me know: eve@eveskylar.net

I've been doing a lot of drawing and 3d modeling for my freelance work, so I like to supplement my personal work with more paintings and explorations. I am inspired by Rick and my friend, Kelly, to do at least 1 piece a day. It's scary to commit to such a thing, but I'll give it a try.

I've been lingering on finishing up the Tyger Tyger story that I started around this time last year. At that time, I thought the story was too personal, perhaps not ready to be told - so I shelved it for a different day. But I'm starting to venture again. I'll be posting in-progress stuff here.

As always, thanks for visiting!