Reflections after graduation

"Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset,

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;

One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To seek, to strive, and not to yield." [Ulysses]

One of my favorite poems and mantra from my Outward Bound days. I remember drifting underneath the Utah stars, memorizing this poem. I knew the words had power and I wanted to grasp it. I came across this poem again as a tiny scholar when I was madly studying for final exams at Long Beach City College in order to transfer to UC Berkeley. It is quite fitting to find it again, now, as a recent grad of Academy of Art. It has been a long journey towards my dreams. So many setbacks, so much time lost, but so many friends and experiences gained. I still find comfort in the words. Literature and art had fueled me with the passion and sustained me through the depths. Now the light is so much brighter and I am enjoying every moment of my new adventures.

To seek. To strive. And not to yield.