Commissioned Illustration: The Walrus and the Carpenter

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."







All pen and ink work above was done with a B-6 Croquill nib (thanks Charley for the pen).

Last month I was approached by Sean Wilkins to do a private commission pen and ink illustration of Lewis Carroll's "The Walrus and the Carpenter." I've obtained his permission to post these process photos for the blog.

I grew up with Lewis Carroll's books and was obsessed by his riddles, symbols, and creative energy. I was thrilled and I thoroughly enjoyed completing this project. I enjoyed rendering the folds on the Walrus' Victorian clothing and the shimmering shells under the boiling hot sun. It was a challenge to make the background fantastical, but while still employing subtlety. I ended up having to do a light wash for the sky, which unfortunately tends to warp the paper a bit. Overall, I really liked the final result and am really proud of how it came out. It was fun!

Thank you Sean!