Live Painting at 111 Minna for Hyphen's Release Party


Thank you Hyphen magazine!

After 2 hours final (above) and in-progress about 40 minutes in (below). Since it was low lighting, I had a bit of trouble seeing the values and color on my palette box. In the end, I think it worked to my advantage, as I had to focus mainly on design and shapes and disregard color.

(Photo above taken by Derek Lieu ~ Thanks Derek!)



Friday night, Rick and I boarded the bus at 9pm with our easel, table, and acrylic paints for Hyphen Magazine's live painting at 111 Minna, SF.

With live painting and any engaging creative act, it is a constant feedback between the artist and its surrounding. There is often a lot of pressure to make something "amazing" in a couple of minutes. I don't know how many of the guests stayed for the entire night to see its progress, but the earlier guests only saw a blank canvas and some incoherent squiggle marks. Some audience members also approached with, "what the hell is that?" "where are you going with this?" And often, the artist themselves are unsure.

When music came on, the paint and canvas connected. There were a couple of moments of crippling self-doubts, and I had to reign myself in and trust the movement and life of the art to come through.

Not quite what I had envisioned, but after 2 hours, this is what I came up with. I had in mind that any trailblazing journey included both the dark ugly mystery and beautiful moments of spontaneity, the organic and the mechanized, the thrill of adventure and the knowing of being able to surpass whatever obstacles may come.

There's a lot of visible mistakes, but not too bad for the first live painting ever. Thank you to everyone who came, supported, or otherwise were there in spirit. The art made was highly influenced by the surrounding music, DJ, dancers, and comments, and questions that were remarked throughout the night. Think of it as a collaborative art piece made through interactions and experiences specific to the moment.


Thank you Hyphen magazine, Rick, new and old friends alike! Hope you had fun.