Violin Repair Shop


"Violin antique repair shop"- value study for animation layout. This piece was inspired by Cremona, Italy, the world-renown violin-making town. At the time I was brainstorming my idea, coincidentally I was also watching someone conduct Brahm's Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68 - the piece that took him 14 years to finish. Another inspiration was that I was told, my grandfather played the violin. I unfortunately never got to hear him play, but he did leave A LOT of his classical cds and I have "borrowed" them from my parents since I moved out to SF. I grew up on Tchaikovsky, Strauss, Mozart, Ravel, Pachebel, and Beethoven. If I had many lives, one of them would be a conductor or a professional musician for a traveling symphony.

In my research for material, I came across the Stradivarius violin, supposedly unparalleled in craft(wo)manship (which is hopefully what you see above). In my mind, I had imagined the room having old lived-in Italian wooden furniture. I really like the curvature silhouette shape of the violins. At first I was going for a lonely 3am working time period in my piece, but Rick had mentioned that the mood was creepy with the broken strings and sharp tools. I can definitely see that too. I still need to adjust some of the values, but for the time being, I'm really happy with the way they came out.